A click from the garden - late June
Artichokes with Roasted Garlic Wine Dip
As published in Cooking Light magazine June 2007
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: One hour and 15 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
2 whole garlic heads
4 medium to large artichokes
3 cups of vegetable stock
3 to 4 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup of vegetable broth
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
chopped fresh parsley (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Remove white papery skin from garlic heads (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap each head separately in foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins to compost pile.
- Clean and trim artichokes. Place artichokes, stem side down, in a large dutch oven.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and enough water so that the artichokes are almost covered. Add bay leaves and spoon about a teaspoon of minced garlic over each artichoke.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until a leaf near the center of each artichoke pulls out easily. Remove artichokes from pan.
- Combine the garlic pulp and the wine in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes. Add broth, butter, and salt; whisk until garlic is nicely broken up. Cook until reduced to 1/2 a cup.
- Sprinkle dip with parsley, if desired. Serve dip with warm artichokes.
Here is the original post from Cooking Light.
A click from the Kitchen - late May