Although I Stole this idea and technique for poaching fish from Chef John, He Stole it from the French - En Papillote means to cook "In Parchment".
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
(2) 8oz center cut fish - Steelhead or Salmon
(12) large asparagus spears (blanched)
(10) small fingerling or new potatoes (pre-cooked)
- Blanch the asparagus and pre-cook the potatoes
- Cut two sheets of parchment into large heart shapes (the surface area of half your "heart" should be a little bigger than the size of a large dinner plate)
- Spread Olive Oil over both sides of your parchment heart.
- Place fish, asparagus, and potatoes in the center portion of one side of the heart. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with Olive Oil
- Fold over opposite side of paper and Starting at the top of the heart overlap, fold, crease, overlap, fold, crease, overlap fold, crease, etc. until all the way around to the bottom. Pinch the last crease and fold under to lock in place.
- Place bundle on a baker's sheet and cook at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting open.
Here is the terrifyingly easy original video.
Here is how to blanch asparagus.
As recommended in the original recipe, a light mustard aioli goes great with this dish.
|A simple Mother's Day meal|