Served over spaghetti squash and featuring boneless and skinless chicken thighs, this is a delicious and low calorie version of the classic dish.
The original version of this dish calls for using a whole, cut-up chicken, and serves it atop egg noodles, rice, or polenta. I made it a couple of times that way, and it was delicious. Nonetheless, my wife did not like the "picking out the bones" and "working around the skin", etc. She suggested that we try it with boneless and skinless thighs.
All of the flavor, much less of the fat, and none of the work... That's my wife for you...my better half...!
Prep Time: about 15 minutes
Total Time: about 1-3/4 hours
Servings: 8 to 10
|Simple mise en place: Sliced peppers, sliced onion, crushed whole garlic cloves, herbs and spices|
3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion sliced "with the grain"
6 to 8 cloves garlic, crushed
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 red bell peppers, sliced
2 green or yellow peppers, sliced
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown chicken in batches over medium high heat in a large dutch oven - set browned chicken aside.
- Add onion, garlic, and salt and pepper and saute for about 5 to 6 minutes. There should be enough moisture from the onions to lightly deglaze the pan.
- Add rosemary, oregano, and pepper flakes.
- Add tomato sauce and water.
- Add chicken and more salt and pepper.
- Place the peppers atop the chicken and cover with a tight fitting oven proof lid.
- Place in 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Here is the Original Video Recipe... a Tribute to Italian Chicken Hunters...