These sausage and cheese filled caps are easy to make and are a delicious appetizer. There are many different versions of this out there. This recipe is pretty basic. Enjoy!
I based this recipe on one I found on the CookEatShare website. My wife suggested I add some Pine Nuts and a little Parmesan. They came out great.
Prep Time: 20 to 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Servings: Makes about 30 medium mushrooms or 17 large mushrooms.
Serving size: 6 medium mushrooms or 3 large
Saturated Fat: 5.5g
Total Carbohydrate: 8.7g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8g
The ingredients and Method are straight from a Sausage Stuffed Mushroom Recipe posting by the CookEatShare Cookbook.
1 1/2 pound mushrooms (medium or large stuffing type)
1/2 pound pork sausage meat
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
2 Tablespoons parmesan (optional)
Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove stems from mushroom caps and chop stems. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until well browned. Remove cooked meat to paper towels to drain using a slotted spoon. Spoon off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from the skillet.
- In drippings, over medium heat, saute stems with garlic till tender, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove skillet from heat, let cool slightly, stir in sausage, bread crumbs, cheeses and pine nuts.
- Fill mushroom caps with sausage mix. Place stuffed caps in a jellyroll pan.
- Bake 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Here is a bunch of similar posts.