Thursday, December 30, 2010

Bone-In Pork Loin


This year we did a Bone-In Pork Loin for Christmas.  I had never done one before and after poking around the web for ideas I became intrigued with the wonderful presentation of this dish.


This recipe calls for having your butcher "French the bones and remove the Chines".  Well, I instructed my local butcher to do so, and he told me what I needed him to do was "crack" the bones... Not what I said, but what am I supposed to know...

On Christmas morning, when it became time to prepare the roast, I opened up the wrapper to find a beautiful 6 Bone Loin without the chine bones removed and cuts at each rib... I guess that's what I needed, right?  

I was pretty upset, thinking that these cuts would ruin the Loin's culinary potential... 

Nonetheless, I cleaned up the chines and decided to press on... and everything turned out just fine.

Photo: Mary Ann Rice

Prep Time:  1/2 Hour
Cook Time:  45 to 60 Minutes
Servings:  6

Ingredients:

1 Bone-In pork Loin (4 to 5 pounds)
30 very thin slivers of garlic (from 3 to 4 cloves), plus 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper



Method:  (For a photographic step-by-step check out Martha Stewart's original Post)

  • Make Slits - Heat oven to 450 degrees. Use a sharp knife to make 24 slits evenly all over pork, including the ends, and insert a sliver of garlic and a small pinch of chopped fresh herbs into each one.
  • Cut Pork - Holding knife against the bones, cut about 2 inches down to separate meat from the bone to create a pocket, leaving the bottom portion intact. 
  • Season Pork - Season inside the pocket with salt and pepper, then add chopped garlic and remaining chopped fresh herbs, spreading evenly.
  • Tie Pork - Tie roast closed with kitchen twine. Season generously with salt and pepper.
  • Roast Pork - Place pork on a rimmed baking sheet or in a roasting pan and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part (avoiding bone) registers 130 degrees, 45 to 60 minutes. (Start checking temperature after 40 minutes so you can better gauge its progress.) 
  • Serve Pork - Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes to allow the internal temperature to rise to 140.

Recipe Links:

Here is the original web post that provided the inspiration for the method.
Here is a similar post that provided the inspiration for the fresh herbs and seasoning.
Here is a video of the original post.
I also served a gravy with this dish - here is a link to the Pan Jus which provided the base.




5 comments:

  1. magnificent post, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector
    do not notice this. You must proceed your writing. I am confident, you
    have a great readers' base already!

    my blog ... Hemorrhoids treatment
    my website: hemorrhoid home treatment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this ωеb site presents qualіty deρendent articlеѕ and extгa information, is there any οtheг
    website whіch οffers such іnformation in
    quаlity?

    Ϻy weblog - cheap legal highs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog you have here.. It's hard to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

    Check out my web site: herbal party pills

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
    Is it very difficult to set up your own blog?
    I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about creating my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Cheers

    Feel free to surf to my webpage ... party pills cheap

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...