This Thanksgiving I served a bone-in Prime Rib instead of the traditional turkey dinner. There were just five of us total and what a great meal it was. Served with fresh bread, this is a wonderful next day meal and a great way to use the wonderful browned and seasoned ribs that are left over.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
1 Large Onion, chopped
- In a soup pot, heat oil, then sauté onions until just tender. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add wine, scraping up any browned bits that may have formed. Add bones, stock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Place a colander in a large bowl and strain mixture. Add stock back to pot, then add all ingredients except cabbage and leftover beef. Cook for 20-30 minutes, until vegetables are just tender.
- Meanwhile, remove any meat from bones and set aside.
- When carrots and potatoes are just tender, add cabbage and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in beef pieces and add salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with a crusty French bread or warm dinner rolls.