Red Velvet Cake and Ice Cream pair up for a "Match made on Heaven"
I stole the idea for these delicious cupcakes from a Patriotic themed "Ice Cream Cupcake" published by Taste of Home last summer. The original recipe featured a red, white, and blue theme for the 4th of July.
Cupid inspired me to tweak that original recipe in celebration of Valentine's Day with a red, pink, and white theme. These hand held deserts are a great way to enjoy your Cake...and your Ice Cream too!
Prep Time: about an hour (includes baking)
Total Time: about three hours (includes initial freezing and decorating)
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) red velvet cake mix
1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
red food coloring
3 cups heavy whipping cream
1-1/2 cups marshmallow creme
pink colored sugar and Valentine's themed sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare cake mix batter according to the package directions for cupcakes.
|After some trial and error, one tablespoon of batter per cup was just right.|
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups about a quarter full. Once baked, the cups should be 1/2 full.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire racks to cool completely.
- Add a couple of drops of food coloring to the softened ice cream and mix until a consistent pink color is achieved.
- Working quickly, spread ice cream over cupcakes. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine cream and marshmallow creme; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe over cupcakes; decorate with sprinkles and colored sugar.
- Freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
Here is a link to the original Patriotic Cupcakes recipe.